Sunday, December 5, 2010

Surviving a Parisian Winter

At heart I am a California girl. I love walking on the sand with my shoes off, in a tank top eating gelato. Thus winter is especially harsh when you know that somewhere in the world it is warm and sunny. I imagine it is the same for alcoholics who rationalize it is happy hour five time zones away. This year, surprisingly, is the first Parisian winter in four years that I'm not completely curled up under my sheets in the fetal position refusing the fact I am not a bear and can't just hibernate through the winter. As humans it is all too easy to internalize the outside world to reflect our own mood, which currently is cold, gray, with a chance of snow. As adults, we are in charge for taking care of our state of mind and maintaining a positive attitude. This is an on going process, but I believe it makes you a better person and helps spread a little happiness to others who are feeling...cold. So after a few winters in Paris of trail and error, I'm revealing my strategies for surviving winter:

Sinse practicing some yoga moves. 
Keep moving. Winter is notorious for wanting to stay inside and refusing fun activities. I get it, it takes about 10 minutes to bundle up, and after that you are still cold. I used to think that winter was really nice and pretty from the inside. Unfortunately winter doesn't last a few days, but over months. Staying inside because of winter is not a valid excuse, because we need to move to feel healthy and good about ourselves. This is the time to find out want type of activity you enjoy doing, and then do it. If you enjoy randomly walking around the streets of Paris or strolling at museums, go for it. There are also tons of swimming pools and gyms around Paris as well, and this is the perfect season to start going.

Yoga is my thing, so when I first came to France I went to the Centre de Yoga du Marias. Classes are in both English and French, but just make sure to make a reservation before you go as space was limited! I also had a gym membership at Les Cercles de la Forme, which was a little pricey but it included all the gym equipment plus unlimited access to their fitness classes (The one by Bastille has a McDonald's right below, so I always got a kick out of the irony). For now, I am back to yoga at Be Yoga as I think it is the perfect activity to keep up a positive outlook during the gray months. The studio is a decent size and the atmosphere is great.

Three furry friends? 
Stay warm, in style. The ongoing battle between fashion and warmth is myth. In Paris, it really comes down to having a good coat and pair of boots. For the coat, I'd recommend getting a durable down jacket in a neutral color, as personally I think down jackets don't look good when they are too bright. Preferably with a hood so you won't have to worry about getting caught in the rain, and a belt on it to give the jacket more of a form. Boots have been a sanity saver for me, as putting on a high heel shoes helps to lift the spirits a bit. Just make sure to also buy something to protect the boots from the weather, and even have a more durable but cute pair of rain boots around in case there is salt on the sidewalks.

In short, invest in a good set of winter clothes that also keeps you warm but makes you feel amazing. My neighbor bought a few cashmere sweaters as her sanity saver. Seems a little difficult when money is tight, but BrandAlly has an outlet section on their website which has some good sales on nice winter clothes.

Eat right. Winter makes us want to eat more hearty foods...think raclette, pot-au-feu, Tartiflette, and anything else with cheese, ham, and potatoes. The holiday season also brings a plethora of of festive food which tempts us to feel guilty about indulging. I think it is important to enjoy eating with friends and family without the guilt. It's not like we are eating foie gras and chocolate everyday, it's pretty much an annual thing. It's about maintaining balance, not avoidance. Soup and a slice or two of wholegrain bread is a great counter balance meal and all you need is a handheld mixer. Just boil a bunch of veggies and spices, mix, and you have a batch of soup for 4 to 5 days. Really, really easy. Mireille Guiliano, author of French Women Don't Get Fat, has been one of my idols in this domain. She also wrote French Women For All Seasons, which is a great book for how to eat healthy during the colder months. She recently wrote an article on eating during the holidays which is worth reading.

Take vitamins too!!!! This is cold season, so make sure to keep your immunity up and especially start taking some vitamins as soon as you feel a scratch in your throat. Usually I have been able to fight off getting sick before it really sets in...

Take a break. Summer vacations seem so far away, and most of us are starting to get burned out from the day-to-day routine. Now is the perfect time to treat yourself nicely and plan something you can look forward to. This can be anything, from planning a nice time out with friends, a family dinner party, or a nice massage for yourself. Depends on what you really need to unwind. For me, I am starting to feel a burn out of my life in France. I absolutely love my life here, although the language is challenging for me and I am starting to feel myself pull away from putting myself in situation where speaking is necessary. I need a break from the country, so I'm leaving to go to Amsterdam for 5 days to get a change of pace and reset myself.  Traveling is such a positive experience, and I always come back happy to be home. I didn't use SmartBox this time around, but I know they have some good packages if you are looking to get away for a night or two.

Focus on the positive. There are certain things that only come around during winter time, and acknowledge and be thankful you can have the experience. Oyster bars are big around this time of year, so if that is your thing then not much is better than going out with friends for oysters and a glass of wine. There are the decorations, the Christmas markets, the ice rink in front of Hotel-De-Ville, etc. The last few days it has actually been snowing in Paris, and just enjoying the snow fall is something I truly enjoy watching this time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment